1. 2 cup sugar
2. 2 cup water
3. 1 tablespoon clarified butter
4. 2 talbespoons lemon juice
1. Put ingredients for sugar syrup into a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add 1 tablespoon clarified butter.
3. Simmer for about 15 minutes and cool.
1. 2 cups semolina flour
2. 1 cup sugar
3. 1 cup coconut flakes
4. 1 cup clarified butter
5. 1 cup milk
6. 1/2 talbespoon plain yogurt
7. 1/2 cup slivered almonds, or 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
8. 2 teaspoons baking powder
1. Mix the sugar, coconut and semolina flour, then, add the baking powder.
2. Put the milk and butter in a pot and bring to a boil.
3. Add the semolina mixture to the milk and butter, plus remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Coat a baking tray with butter.
5. Pour into a baking tray 1/2 inch high and distribute evenly.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes until golden-yellow.
7. Remove from the oven and distribute slivered almonds or chopped hazelnuts over the top of the backed Basboussa. Press the nuts gently with your finger.
8. Leave the Basboussa to cool for 1 hour.
9. Soak with the cold sugar syrup.
10. Bake at 200 degrees for 5 minutes until golden-yellow.
11. Cut into pieces and serve warm or cold.
The recipe of sweet dish called baseema is the same as the Basboussa recipe except you add a lot of coconut.
Haressa is Basboussa. Alexandrians call Basboussa by the name of Haressa They put more butter and suger on it.Go to top of page