1. 3 large onions -- sliced
2. 1 quart water -- divided
3. Oil for frying
4. 2 cups rice
5. 2 teaspoons salt
6. 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
7. 8 ounces small macaroni
8. one small can of chick peas
1. 6 cloves minced garlic
2. 2 tablespoons white vinegar
3. 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
4. 2 teaspoons cumin
5. Chili red pepper (if you like it hot!)
6. 1 cup chopped parsley
7. 1 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
8. 2 tablespoon olive oil
1. Saute onions until brown. Drain on paper towels.
2. Put 3 cups water in a pot with a few drops oil. Bring to a boil. Add rice and 1 teaspoon salt. After water returns to a boil, lower heat. Simmer until done.
3. Wash lentils. Then boil until tender.
4. Boil macaroni until tender. Drain.
5. Boil chick peas and add it to the cooked macroni.
In a blender, puree minced garlic, two tablespoon olive oil,
vinegar, tomato paste, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, parsley,
coriander, 1 cup of water, and chili pepper, if desired. Blend well.
Cook until mixture boils. Lower heat, Simmer until cooked.
Store in a jar in the refrigerator. This condiment will keep for many months.
To serve, layer rice, lentils, and macaroni. Spread sauce on top.
Garnish with fried onions.Go to top of page